Publications (journal articles, books, book chapters)*
1. Rivera, H., Li, J*., Lynch, J*., & Obamehinti, F. (2016). A Literature Review on Infusing Socio-Cultural Perspectives into Capacity Building Activities to Meet the Needs of Refugees and Asylum Seekers. Canadian Psychology, 57 (4), 320-339. DOI: http//dx.doi.org/10.I037/cap0000076 *
2. Waxman, H. C., Rivera, H. H., Linn, B., Padron, Y. N., Rollins, A. W., & Alford, B.A. (2016). Development of an observation instrument to measure flourishing learning environments. Journal of Chinese Studies, 2(1), 1-7. DOI 10.1186/s40853-016-0005-9.
3. Waxman, H. C., Rivera, H. H., Linn, B., Padron, Y. N., Rollins, A. W., & Alford, B.A. (2016). Development of an observation instrument to measure flourishing learning environments. Journal of Chinese Studies, 2(1), 1-7. DOI 10.1186/s40853-016-0005-9.
4. Tong, F., Luo, W., Irby, B.J. Lara-Alecio, R., & Rivera, H. (2015, on-line first). Investigating the impact of professional development on teachers19s instructional time allocation and English learners19 cognitive and academic language development: A multilevel cross-classified approach. International Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism. Doi:10.1080/13670050.2015.1051509 [ISI 2014, Impact Factor 1.027]
5. Rivera, H., & Murray, D. (2014). An Exploratory Assessment: Developing pathways for underrepresented minorities into genomic science. SAGE Open Publisher, 1-11. DIO: 10.1177/2158244014560544
6. Rivera, H., & Francis, D. (2014). Building Capacity in Community Context: Studying the Impact of Technology on Low-Income Immigrant Spanish-Speaking Families. In Waxman, H. (Eds). Research on Technology Use in Multicultural Settings. Information Age Publishing. *
7. Rivera, H. (2014). Community development through technology: Studying the impact of technology infused activities among low-income Spanish-speaking immigrant families. Journal of Latinos and Education, 13, 196-211.
8. Rivera, H., Ware, P., Correa, L., & Batres, M. (2013). Capacity building for community development among educators in Guatemala. Global Journal of Human Social Science Linguistics & Education, 13 (3), 33-43
9. Waxman, H. C., Rivera, H., & Powers, R. A. (2012). English language learners' educational resilience and classroom learning environment. Educational Research Quarterly. 35(4), 53-72
* Publication was joint-authored with students
College of Education and Human Development Grants and Contracts (Current)
Eco-Resilience NPD program: Synergistically Connecting Multiple Environments for the Success of English Learners. (PI)
US Department of Education (Federal)
2016/09/01 - 2021/08/31
Total Funding: 2,750,000.
Evaluating Teacher Performance Using Student Achievement Data: A Propensity Score Approach. (Co-PI)
TAMU Office of the Vice President for Research (State)
2016/05/01 - 2017/04/30
Total Funding: 24,996.
College of Education and Human Development Grants and Contracts (Former)
Catapult Round 1 - Bridging the Gap for Hispanics in STEM: Building the Hispanic Community STEM Network (Funded amount $25,000). (PI)
TAMU College of Education & Human Development (State)
2016/02/01 - 2016/12/31
Total Funding: 0.
Research Study of the ESCAPE Family Resource Center. (Co-PI)
ESCAPE Family Resource Center (Private)
2013/09/01 - 2016/08/31
Total Funding: 68,750.
Editorial Board Member (2015 - ). Dual language research and practice journal
(2015). Outstanding New Faculty Award. CEHD, EPSY